A roof is what separates man from beast. The home from the outside elements. The three little piggies from the big bad wolf. It is essential, and unfortunately susceptible to damages if not taken care of properly. Roof coatings are often referred to as “restoration membranes” as they can aid in roof longevity by being applied directly to existing rooftop membranes instead of new roofing installations. They can be used to recoat parapet walls, as partial recoats, or applied only over certain areas of your roof. Depending on your roof’s material and the manufacturer of the roof coat, you can create a seamless finish to your roof. If you would like to extend the life of your commercial roofing, here is some information to consider.
Here are some benefits of roof coatings:
- Environmentally Friendly!: In this day and age, we’re all about easing the strain on our planet. Restorations through coating allows for the reuse of previously used roofing materials without throwing them away to the landfills!
- Save Money: a full-blown roofing replacement packs hefty bucks and saving the coins in our piggy bank is much appreciated. Installation time is fast and does not require heavy labor!
- Sustainable: coating systems are renewable with reflective, waterproof capabilities and lengthening the life of your roof’s life with recoats occurring only every 10 plus years!
- Reflective: roof coatings are highly reflective and offer UV protection in certain topcoats, it adds years of life onto your roof, lowers maintenance costs, and cools your building thereby lowering your AC bill!
- Minimal Construction: during the coating, you wouldn’t need to close your business as there is minimal noise involved and often no VOCs (volatile organic compounds) or odors that can create ozone when undergoing roof coating.
- Seamless & Fully Restored Weatherproofing: coating melts together when applied around roof membranes creating a seamless finish that fully seals and waterproofs the roof.
Types of Roof Coatings:
Roof coatings come in a variety of options, a few of which are silicone, acrylic, and polyurethane. When it comes to the top two most often used, roof coatings usually implement the first two.
commercial silicone roof coatings are the most durable of all coatings as they protect your roof from inclement weather with its protective membrane, have UV protection, and reflects sun rays from your property.
commercial acrylic roof coatings: also acts as a reflective barrier and protects from UV rays, has a great cover with several different roofing materials including older roofs and protects from storms, debris, and dirt.
commercial polyurethane roof coatings: although this material is best known for its quality waterproofing, it also gives protection from corrosion, debris, UV rays, environmental and chemical damages.
Commercial Roofing Systems
Commercial roofing materials are numerous and roof coating manufactures initially developed their products for bituminous roofing such as modified bitumen or traditional build-up roofing.
Here are roofing materials that go well with roof coatings:
- EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer)
- Sheet metal
- Mod Bit
- Spray Polyurethane Foam
And some that don’t:
- *PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
*Keep in mind, some of these roofs can react well as long as there is a priming layer before the coat.
Commercial roof leak detection:
Roof Leak detection can range in simplicity and difficulty, some ceilings may give a telltale sign with a water stain whereas some leaks are more hidden.
Here are signs your commercial roof leaks:
- Rise in energy costs: insulation is the first area the leak will be absorbed into, this would prevent heat and cold from passing through which would spike up your energy costs.
- Pests: a leaky roof can attract insects and critters such as ants, cockroaches, termites, and rats.
- Stains: Ceiling tiles will start to show stains, wood would absorb the water and metal would corrode and rust.
- Toxic mold: once through the materials of your woof, a toxic mold would develop behind walls and ceilings.
Roof Coatings that can help with roofing leaks:
Not all roof coatings cover roof leaks and specific manufacturers might request that fixtures be made before application. Some may be applied over substrates that act as a protective coating between the roofing material and coating.
elastomeric roof coating: an elastic coating that can stretch and move with your roof and are therefore more forgiving rather than rigid, which increases their durability. The name reflects the polymer in the coating that has elastic qualities of synthetic and natural rubbers. It helps protect and seal underlying roof material which can help prevent leaks and future weathering. Some coating options can additionally cool your roof as well.
epoxy roof coating: can be a waterproof barrier to inclement weather (and be used as an emergency coating) due to its watertight elements of bonding.
Commercial Roof Coating Systems
Commercial Flat Roof Coatings & Coating Reactions in General:
Certain roof coatings may not work well with your flat room, beware of epoxy and acrylics, some manufacturers have taken past transgressions into consideration and developed coatings in these two categories specifically for flat roofs. For all roof coatings, know that performance is highly dependent on your roofing material. Always check that the coating of your choice lists the available roof material options that it reacts well with.
Be sure to keep in mind that certain roof coatings go well with certain roof materials, or else a substrate or primer may be required. Increase the longevity of your commercial roofing and consider a roofing coat application instead of heavy repairs and replacements. Oftentimes, protective fixtures can be prevented through a roof coat and restorations handled smoothly as well!
Contact our licensed roofing contractors at Alpine Roofing Co. today at 775.358.7663 for an estimate on your roof coating in Sparks, NV! You can also schedule an appointment with us to learn more about exceptional roof coatings for your commercial building.